Saturday, January 15, 2011

All That Glitters...

I have been obsessed with glitter and sequins this season. So shiny and sparkly and fun! The thing is if it's hard to find capes... it's even harder to find glitter and sequins done right. Everything I found looked too young, too dance costume, or too expensive... What's a girl to do?

And magazines aren't helping my obsession (see below for proof - sorry the images are so darn blurry - but camera phone and trying to take a quick photo at lunch -- obviously doesn't make a good blog post!).
How cute are those heels? I want a pair of sparkly shoes so badly!


Well I did finally nab an awesome Loft cardigan with a sequin trim. Love! And I have an old pink Express cardigan with sequins on it - I mean the thing is circa 2004 and still looks amazing. It pays to take care of your clothes people! But that was the extent of shimmery entering my wardrobe.

I figured I'd try to find a perfect nail polish instead. Cheap. Easy to change if I don't love it. And I love nail polish colors. I will try anything at least once (which is crazy funny because in high school when it's perfectly acceptable to wear randomness on your fingers all I wanted was baby pink)... anyway I digress...

I looked high and low for glitter nail polish. But didn't love anything I found. Either they didn't have a color I liked or it wasn't enough shimmer... But this weekend I solved my dilemma. I found China Glaze Fairy Dust. It's basically clear polish with glitter in it so you can turn any of your polishes into a glitter polish with an easy top coat of this stuff. I tried it Friday and maybe a royal mess of my nails (too rushed trying to go out and get the perfect mani)... but I tried again and although not perfect (as evident by the photo below) it looks pretty darn good. I layered Fairy Dust over China Glaze in Avalanche for a cool grey with sparkles - perfect for all this cold winter weather. I'm in love! Let me know what you think!



Avalanche is the left and Fairy Dust is on the right.
I can't wait to try Fairy Dust over all my fav colors to see the results! And now I'm a happy camper until I can find some awesome glitter shoes...
Just a word to the wise before I sign off - the girl at the beauty store talked me into a base coat... ok unless you have more patience than I do - totally not worth it. I think that's why my nails didn't work out Friday. It took forever to dry with three coats (base, grey, glitter)... augh. I don't keep polish on long enough to worry about it. It worked perfectly fine with a nice solid coat of grey and a light coat of Fairy Dust on top. Happy Painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment