Thursday, June 24, 2010

Excuse me are you pregnant?

Remember a while back we talked about annoying things people say... well one of them is "Are you pregnant?" Let me start by saying unless someone was about to drop a baby on my foot I don't think I'd straight up ask them. What if they said, "No I'm a bit bloated today." or "I swallowed a basketball for breakfast."? Embarrassing.

So today, I wore a cute sundress to work - bright purple and white and empire waist. I love empire waist stuff - one it highlights most women's skinniest part of their waist - right under their breast - two it highlights your breast in a non-sleazy way (I'm sure there are sleazy ways but....) - and three they are so comfy!! No need to worry about eating light with these babies on.

I walk down to the cafeteria because as usual I'm running late and didn't have two minutes to heat oatmeal and ordered a sandwich. And this really nice lady who I see everyday (hence you should realize that I wasn't looking pregnant Monday) asks, "are you pregnant?"

Augh! Really? I'll admit I'm no Kate Moss in the skinny department but I'm not walking around with a basketball up my skirt either. So embarrassing for both of us. Of course I said no. Then she played it off that I've been married for awhile and I'll be pregnant soon if not today. Wow... there goes me wanting to scarf down a breakfast sandwich. I'll just have a skim milk and cereal. Starvation diet here I come.

The funny thing is though - empire waist dresses are everywhere!! (Maybe because they are so darn comfortable/flattering).

Here are a few of my favorites:

All images are from: www.anntaylor.com and www.anntaylorloft.com.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! This is too ridiculous! You are skinny, which is why this is so funny! But I think for older women, a lot of the clothes we wear now because they are in style, were only maternity clothes, I think those dresses, and also the empire waist shirts. So, I'm saying that's what it was, not that you actually looked pregnant!! Wine and cheese tonight, anyone! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually was kind of upsetting/ridiculous - I mean really I don't think I'm fat or bloated or looking pregnant (jeez and if I am you better tell me or no wine and cheese for me!!). It doesn't make me want to go to the beach anytime soon and prance around in a bikini!

    That being said - I do agree with you that clothes we wear normally now would have been maternity clothes 20 years ago - tunics, blousy dresses, empire waists, etc.

    I love that fuschia dress though (last one). I wish Loft and Ann Taylor weren't so expensive.

    ReplyDelete