Monday, April 26, 2010

Week 16 of the 52 Week Challenge

This week is a little bit harder - because we can't have them all easy or where's the challenge? My computer is a dinosaur - in computer years it should have been extinct about three years ago. Nothing is wrong with it per say except the monitor died last week and its incredibly slow. I had to turn it off today for a storm and I just waited fifteen minutes for it to boot up and load Internet Explorer so I could write this blog. Yawn. I almost gave up. Anyway, K and I decided to bite the bullet and let my cousin pick out a new computer for us - its supposed to be coming this week - yay! Of course computers are crazy expensive and I never know what to get. I feel like its one of the most confusing purchases ever - what's good, what's bad... and everyone has different opinions. Anyway, K and I are splitting the costs and for my half I'm going to use the money I was going to put towards Bride's wedding but since she kicked me out.... well..... money is now going towards the computer and it will actually make my life easier. However, I still need to kick in extra money to cover my half, not to mention K is paying me back in installments, so.... my already tight budget just got tighter. That brings me to this week's challenge.... Save more.

What? How can you save more when there is barely anything to save to begin with? Remember back a few weeks ago, we made a budget (or we were supposed to make budgets)... well now, try to cut something. I don't care if it's $5 you would have spent on lunch or coffee. You have to start somewhere. I'm going to increase my automatic deductions by $10.

Let's talk automatic deductions - I love them. It takes the guess work out of savings. I don't have to remember to transfer money or squirrel it away under my bed.... just kidding - that's not safe and you're not earning any interest! I set up my accounts to take money out as soon as my paycheck is deposited - it's like it was never even there! So, before Sunday, I need to go in and increase the amount. Tough - I know - but I figure I can eat lunch at my desk one more day a month and cover the additional money. Plus, I can't stress enough how important it is to save for down the road.... which could be retirement, a vacation... or yes, even a new computer.

Good luck!

3 comments:

  1. And you can't miss it if you never see it!

    Liked the comment about the money towards Bride's wedding! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. why does this keep saying 0 comments? I keep reading this and thinking "I wrote a comment, didn't I?" Then under comments, it's there, but on the surface it says zero.

    Ok, that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea - it was doing that last week with someone elses' comment. Annoying!!

    That's the general idea that I won't miss it.

    ReplyDelete