Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Movie Review: Law Abiding Citizen

This was K's pick on Netflix. I'm going to go ahead and rate it now and get that out of the way and then tell you my likes and dislikes. I'm going to say 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Likes: Interesting concept. Decent acting (Gerard Butler is pretty hot and gets naked in one scene which has everything to do with his acting ability).

Dislikes: I was able to figure out what Gerard's character was doing before everyone else so it was a little bit of a let down. Case in point: Judge's (who had chastised Jamie Foxx for using a cell phone in court) cell phone rings - I say to K - $10 that phone is going to blow up. Judge answers phone. Phone blows up. Just too predictable for a supposed top-notch spy who no one is supposed to know his next move. Really? I guessed every single one of them.

I never understood why Gerard's family was targeted in the beginning. I did think a twist would be why the bad guys (Darby and Ames) killed Gerard's wife and daughter (no big spoiler this happens in the first five minutes). But alas, it was a random act of violence. I guess this makes it worse and why Gerard felt like he needed to get revenge (that and he felt he got crummy treatment from the DA) but I felt like there needed to be a reason why they killed his wife and daughter and was let down at the end when it was just random.

My other dislike was I started out feeling bad for Gerard's character. His family is brutally murdered. The police messed up the evidence so they have to plea the bad guys down (basically offer one a deal and get the other death row) and the main bad guy that actually killed his wife and daughter was the one that got three years for murder (can that happen?). SPOILER: So Gerard takes out the two bad guys. I don't think any jury would feel bad for a death-row inmate and a convicted murder/drug dealer. But then he gets all crazy on the Pennsylvania legal system and starts just randomly killing anyone involved with the case. I went from feeling bad for him to feeling like he was just a crazy weirdo in need of some serious therapy.

Overall a solid movie. I wouldn't buy it - I think once you see it you're not going to watch it over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment