Monday, March 1, 2010

Random Thoughts for a Monday

I think Mondays are always hard. I'm one of those people that would be perfectly content being independently wealthy (ok really who wouldn't be happy with that?). So I'm always a little sad when Monday rolls around and I have to go to work and I can't just do what I want to do all day. So there's that.

Monday started ok though - my boss emailed me this really nice compliment about me from another employee. (Basically giving me kudos for a job well done last week - how awesome is that?!?!) Life was good.

Then about 8 am we get a company wide email that basically read blah blah blah blah no raises this year blah blah blah. Wait... rewind. No raises this year? This sent everyone around me into a does this include us or not discussion. I was going to think with the glass half full approach and go with it doesn't include us.

Afternoon rolls around we get a 2nd email that says the first email does include us. This led to more discussion about how much work sucks and people just generally complaining.

Here's a thought - I know this was probably planned. I mean I don't think the bosses woke up this morning and were like hmmm no raises for anyone today. So why would you send out such a morale killer on a Monday? You have an army of depressed weekend craving employees and you're going to launch their week with great job but no raises? Really? Why not send it out on a Thursday so we can all go out drinking and bitch about it at least? J/K - sort of. I just don't think Monday was a great day to tell people.

I'm telling myself what I told K when his company said no raises. At least you're better off than all those people that are getting laid off or the people getting salary cuts, etc. but part of me is a upset three year old screaming in the corner. It stinks. I sometimes really feel like I'm beating my head against a brick wall. This is my Monday venting session for a few minutes then we'll go back to the regularly scheduled program of fashion and other frivolity.... I guess growing up part of me was naive enough to think I'd be like the people on Friends. I'd have a great job, a fabulous apartment and designer clothes. Instead I feel like I did all this work to just be stuck like a hamster in a wheel - running like crazy but not going anywhere. My job is okay but there are days where I want something more but I can't really put my finger on what it is - like I'm at point A but I really want to be at point B. The thing is companies have us (and they know it) by the (excuse the expression) balls. They can do what they want, treat us like they want and they know if you're smart you're probably not going anywhere just yet.

So what can cheer me up? I don't know... but this list is usually a start:

1. A Margarita - at least for a few minutes I can dream I'm in Mexico lying on the beach. If I ever win the lottery I swear I'm moving to another country and just playing in the ocean all day. Until then a Margarita will have to do.

2. Shopping. I guess this is like a binge eater except when I get stressed or upset I don't eat. I shop. I crave candy colored dresses, jeans, shoes that would make Carrie Bradshaw weep with desire... I literally had to stop myself from heading to the mall after work. If I'm not getting a raise I can't afford to blow my budget on Loft and Limited.

3. Writing. There is something so therapeutic about it for me. I tend to write better fiction when I'm running high on emotions. It sounds weird but its like this little release for all this pent up energy that I can't get rid of.

4. Exercising. If I can make myself detour the mall and go to the gym instead... I did take C for a walk when I got home and it felt nice to just be outside.

5. Venting. Who doesn't want to vent for two seconds about how crappy everything seems? Sometimes it feels good to let it out and just scream or cry or tell your bff that life sometimes sucks.

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I'm sorry. I know what you're saying "oh, be glad to have a job" but last year when we didn't get raises and everyone was getting laid off, if one more person told me that, I would punch them in the face. I was soooo upset. It's hard out there! Very hard! I'm sorry! I would have joined for a margarita! I liked your shopping bit, I hear that one loud and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I feel a little better today. I think it was one of those things you have to vent although I'll still take you up on margaritas one night soon.

    ReplyDelete