Friday, February 26, 2010

Just One Look

Stores fall into four categories for me.
Madly in Love - the name says it all. If these stores were people we'd be bff's. We get each other. I seek them out.

Deep Dislike - these are the stores (obviously) that I would rather get a cavity filled than venture into. Or the stores I didn't click with.

Ambivalent Acquittance - Take it or leave it. These are the stores that I don't feel strongly one way or the other.

Why did I describe this to you? Because when I'm am ambivalent acquittance it's pretty hard to win me over. I might walk into your store occassionally and look around but I don't crave what you sell. You don't have top of mind for me when I'm thinking about what I need next.

I just spent the last few days up in NJ celebrating a belated Christmas. It's not bad to spread the holiday out a bit but I will say it loses some of its charm when you take away the ceremony, the tree and all the fattening food. Anyway... NJ is my favorite place to shop - you get all the trends of NYC but minus the mobs of people and the sales tax. I plan my shopping up there days out - which places I have to go to and which I'm on the fence about.
This brings me to J. Crew. J. Crew falls solidly into ambivalent acquittance - I have a few things from there but for me they always fell squarely into a more expensive version of the Gap for me - aka old-school preppy with boring khakis and button ups. I have K to thank for my latest obsession (and by obsession I mean stalking J. Crew's website and trying to figure out if I should wait until summer to order stuff or just head out to the mall now). We were at the Outlets and K had to go to the bathroom. It's too cold to wait outside and J. Crew was next to the restrooms so I said I'd wander in there thinking even khakis can hold my attention for a few minutes.

I walked into a summer in Key West - bright colors, cute sundresses, shorts and tops that had me drooling. I didn't actually get anything - I can't justify paying full price for shorts that I won't wear for another few months but they really got me thinking (and obsessing).

So thanks to http://www.jcrew.com/ for the following spring/summer loves to get us through this chilly post-work Friday.

2 comments:

  1. J Crew has always fallen into that category for me. Just not really my style (too old school prep as you put it perfectly). But I always see it on other people and think it's adorable. But then I go in, and it's like "am I really going to pay that much for something that may or may not be me?" But then I see the above photos and agree, they are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a friend of mine at work always wears J Crew and looks super cute but every time I go it's all girl scout khakis. The outlet was too die. I'm going to see if there is one in Williamsburg and head there in a few weeks maybe I'll catch a sale. :)

    ReplyDelete