Monday, January 25, 2010

Procrastination Ends Today!

If you want to make an easy job seem mighty hard, just keep putting off doing it. ~Olin Miller

Why do something today when you can put it off forever? I feel that way about a lot of things. That’s how my house goes from really clean to a cluttered mess. I put it off. I’m too tired to load the dishwasher when I get home, I’ll do it later. The funny thing is, when I put it off and wait until later that task is suddenly a lot harder or seems a lot harder than it really is. If I wait a day to load the dishwasher I suddenly have two days worth of dishes that need to be tackled. If I put things off, in my mind they become massive. I can’t do that now – I don’t have time. It’s an endless cycle of procrastination.

So today, I jumped into my weekly resolution. I was going to tackle something. My first task on my list? I got married almost two years ago. It’s now 2010 and I still hadn’t gotten around to changing my name on a bank account. I mean come on – I would have to call somewhere and fill out forms and fax my marriage license. It wasn’t a big deal. So what it was just a last name….I would just wait.

Not this morning. I was set. I was going to at least call them and figure out what I needed to do. I could tackle the rest later. I went and bought a bottle of water. I tackled my emails. That nagging thought in my head. Change your name. So I logged onto their website, dialed their customer service number and waited…

I was all primed for the representative say “here is a list of twenty things you have to do. Oh and I forgot to mention we need your signature in blood to make this change.”

But surprise, I had waited so long to change my name (and had already changed my name on other things) that all I had to do was inform them of how I wanted my name. Like the quote says “an easy job seem[s] mighty hard”… Wow. I had actually completed my resolution on Monday.

But this first task has inspired me. I can do this. I can tackle my whole long list of projects and maybe just maybe they will all be just as easy. So I'll try to keep you updated on how it all goes. How has your week been so far? Are you still procrastinating or are you doing?

2 comments:

  1. Haha! This was funny! But I totally know what you mean. And if you put it off, you also start to dread it, which makes it seem even worse!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I built it up in my head as being horrible - but not so bad in the end. I actually tackled two more mini projects today and it's only Tuesday - yay!

    ReplyDelete