Monday, January 11, 2010

Week 1 Recap and Week 2 of the 52 Week Resolution Challenge

So I'm a day late but I wasn't feeling great Sunday and still don't feel great today so I'm cutting myself some slack.

Let's recap week 1 shall we... we were supposed to go through our receipts and check our statements and balance our checkbooks. Raise your hand if you did it. Can I get partial credit? I did balance my checkbooks. I didn't go through my pile of receipts. I'm trusting that since I look at my statement and don't see anything odd that the receipts are a waste of time.

So lets start week 2. This week I'm challenging all of you to stop spending money. Yikes! That's hard. We're in a recession because no one wants to spend money. Well, I'm not saying you can't buy necessities and I'll even be nice enough to say you can decide what counts as a necessity. My rule is not everything can be a necessity (do you really need that Starbucks before work? Do you have to go to happy hour?).

The concession is, I am going to make you write down everything you spend money on this week. I mean every little thing. That pack of gum from the vending machine, the $5 you loan a co-worker. I want it all written down and tracked. You don't have to share unless you want to.

The point of this activity is to make you more aware of where your money is going. You may be surprised that you spend $25 a week on coffee. Or that you happen to drop by The Limited and blow through $50 every time you have a bad day. At the end of the week we'll discuss what happened. Feel free to comment along the way.

Today I have spent $0. I'll try to give you tips on ways to save.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I need to do this one! BTW, thanks to this, Saturday night is out! Haha! You brought it on yourself!! :)

    But really, this is great. If you can do it, that's great. I'm going to try. Starting today! Gosh! It's going to be an eye opener!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm well can Sat count as a necessity? :) I'd still go haha!!! Or I guess we could just get wine and hang out that would be cheaper... I'll email you tomorrow.

    So far the only thing I bought this week is gas and thats obv. a necessity. But I do have semi-plans for this weekend so I'll probably end up being a little bad. But that's why I said you had to write it down so you knew how much you spent. I'm the queen of going to Target for toliet paper and ending up with a $50 bill of things I "needed".

    ReplyDelete