Thursday, January 21, 2010

To work or not to work....

My office was closed Monday for the holiday and so I enjoyed a nice leisurely weekend as a lady who lunches. Actually a lady who does spas is more like it. I was thinking about it yesterday, two days back into the work week... would I be content being a lady who lunches (i.e. no job but excess income to do as she pleases while everyone else works)?


I think in part this weekend was just good - it was one of those just busy enough that when people asked on Tuesday how was your weekend I could answer something other than "It was ok... I don't really remember." Saturday we took down our Christmas stuff (should have been earlier but we both kept putting it off - there is something so magical about having the tree up), then we met up with a work friend of mine and her boyfriend for dinner. It was just a really good time, I felt like everything meshed. I'm always wary of how the guys will get along. Sunday I met up with friends for some wine and dinner. Monday was my spa day. It was just nice.

This has come up in the past with my friend S and I. She just had a baby and we've talked some about whether or not she wants to go back to work. Right now she has it worked out she'll go back part-time. Which in all honesty, I think is the best of both worlds. You're not trapped with a screaming baby all day and get adult conversation but you can still do all the fun stay at home mom stuff.

I think if I won the lottery (which will never happen since I never play), I would stay home. I'd volunteer. I'd travel. I'd write. I'd fine ways to fill my days other than the daily grind. I would be perfectly content doing only what I love.

What about you? Could you ever not work? Hey it's a rainy Thursday, we should discuss something a little light hearted.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I could TOTALLY not work. I know for a fact I would not be bored. I would have tons to do to entertain myself, I'd be in such great shape. The house would be immaculate, I'd have the best meals prepared. I'd have fun hobbies, I'd have time to do all the things I want to do. I just don't get those people who say they'd be too bored, I just don't!

    ReplyDelete