Friday, January 8, 2010

Retail Winners and Losers - My Comments

Yahoo must be after my heart. Now when I log in I get the latest news but I also get random entertainment stories. Today it was Retail Winners and Losers where they listed this years top performers and the ones that haven't done so well. Here is my take...

Top Performers:

TJX Companies (includes TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Home Goods, AJ Wright). Basically the article says they're doing well because everyone is after a bargain. I've never been to AJ Wright (not even sure if there is one around here) but the other three are hit or miss. I probably go to Marshalls the most since it's the closest but I have to be in the right mood to search for fabulous deals. My take on these stores is I want an awesome deal on a brand or name I recognize. I'm not going to pay even $20 for a brand I've never heard of... snobbish? Maybe.

Ross Stores - can't comment never been to one. Basically sounds like a TJ Maxx/Marshalls kind of store.

Aeropostale - I haven't been in there in years but used to like it a lot in NJ for fun summer things. I think I've kind of out-grown the whole look though.

Saks - not even sure I've been there - there's one in town but kind of far from me and I'm not looking to to drop $100 on a t-shirt.

Costco - not surprised... not really much to say about buying cereal in bulk.

JW Nordstrom - loves.... which I had a bigger clothing budget so I could just shop their all the time. It's like retail heaven. Awesome dressing rooms, nice sales people, clean, clothes not all shoved everywhere.... I can't say enough good things about Nordstroms...

Weaklings

JC Penney - a little shocked they made the list because every now and then you can score some really cute work outfits for a reasonable price. Items are better made then stuff you find at Kohls (which didn't make the list and I refuse to even step foot in that place). Basically the article said since they are a mid-level retailer they can't get the high-end shoppers or the discount people.

Wet Seal - slightly trashy clothes. I personally think they are a little over-priced for what they are selling but that's just me. I've never been a fan of stores like this, Forever 21 or H&M...

American Apparel - never been there.

Dillard's - not shocked. The one near me is horrible. I don't even go in there unless I see a poster saying Clinique is having a free gift and then its in and out.

Hot Topic - yeah... not really into goth teen clothes so do not shop here and not surprised they made the list as no one should shop here - really unattractive clothes.

Abercrombie - not surprised since it's made the news the past few years how teens aren't really going there anymore. I think they hit their peak in early 2000's and probably are going to start fading fast. I have never really liked their stuff. I think it's over-priced, not really my style, and honestly not all that their fans think it is.

My favs that didn't make the list:

The Limited - I could live there. I love pretty much everything the store.

Old Navy - So you could probably try to throw them in the same category as H&M as far as price but I think Old Navy doesn't try to do a ton of trendy things instead they do a few basics and sell them cheaper than their sister stores (Gap and Banana). I love their jeans.

Ann Taylor (Loft/Factory Store) - I would think they might have done better. I think if you're still shopping high-end then this is a good bet for work clothes. I like they have a whole petites department (something The Limited should add).

Target - hello how did my favorite big box store not end up on the peak performers. I don't really buy clothes here that often but will wander their aisles forever.

Surprised they aren't an under performer...

Macys - a little surprised Macys didn't end up on the under performers just since I read they've been in a bit of trouble. I like Macy's overall - ones up North are way better. The ones in VA are pretty much old Hecht's that they changed the name but never updated the merchandise. I have to be in the mood to department store shop but I like their shoe department.

Gap - I think they are wedged firmly between Banana and Old Navy and are the unpopular one. Do we really need anymore button-downs with khakis. I just feel like their look is so tired.

American Eagle - same thoughts as Abercrombie.

Those are my thoughts. Are you shocked or not that surprised? What's your favorite stores?

2 comments:

  1. Saw this article, glad to know my favorite stores are doing well. TJMaxx and Ross. I think I single-handedly contributed to their profit margins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I keep hoping VCC turns around - I'm so afraid The Limited is going to close up and head out to SPTC. :(

    I've never been to Ross. Where is it?

    ReplyDelete