Thursday, January 14, 2010

Saving Tip 4 and an Update on Week 2

So let's recap - the challenge this week is to not buy anything that isn't a necessity. How have we done? You're also supposed to be writing down what you do spend. So here's my recap. I've spent $23 in gas and $5.33 on birthday cards. Now, birthday cards aren't necessarily a necessity. I could probably go into Publisher and make some cheese-tastic birthday card that says RAP's Card Shop on the back and my friend S might laugh and be okay with it but since the 2nd card was for my boss - I'm thinking the 5 year old homemade card route won't fly. So two birthday cards and a tank of gas. I'm feeling awesome about this week. I do have some bills to pay though so.... yeah that won't be as awesome.

Saving tip 4... lets talk about freebies a bit.

1. Go to a library. I for one love libraries. K thinks its really dorky and I know most people avoid them like the plague (or high school English) but there is something about all those books. Loves. Anyway... I like to buy books but I love to rent books at the library even more. Plus, libraries have tons of free classes, magazines, movies, CDs. You never have to buy anything. I get free magazines all the time - they have a box that if you leave some you can take some.

2. Arrange to trade with friends. Ok I'll admit I'm probably the worse person at sharing. I hate sharing. I don't know why. I trust my friends (most of them) to return my stuff in one piece but it makes my skin itch and I feel like I'm going to die. A little dramatic. I'm blaming it on two things 1. my mom made me share everything with my sister (hello who wants to do that) and 2. I'm always afraid that for some reason I'm not going to get whatever I shared back. But still it's a good tip. Say you have a party to go to and you need a new dress. See if your friend has something you can borrow - obviously wash it before giving it back - but no one needs to know you didn't buy it. Same goes for DVD's, books, etc. But it's a trade here - if you expect your friends to pony up their movies and new clothes you have to be willing to do the same.

3. Search sites like www.freecycle.org - register for your area and you get tons of ads for things people are giving away. I got a kitchen table and a grill but even if you don't get something that big you can find books, moving boxes, baby clothes, etc.

4. Find free or cheap events in your area. Play tourist and visit your state's tourism site. You can find out about inexpensive or free events going on... concerts, historical walks, etc.

What are other good free things you can do? I'm interested to hear your ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment