Monday, November 2, 2009

Book Review: Mommywood

Ok so I realize this may destroy any credibility I have by reviewing Tori Spelling’s second book instead of say something else, maybe something a little bit more of a challenge. But hey, why not stick with a good thing.

I didn’t mention I’m kind of a speed reader. My mom jokes about it. My husband jokes about it – actually he jokes about anyone that actually reads. Still I don’t think it’s a stretch for people who read at normal speeds to finish this book in a day or two. It’s an easy read.

I liked it. I’m not sure I like it better than her first book. She trashes her mom more in this book and at some point you want to say, “Ok Tori, I got it, you and your mom don’t get along.”

I’m not a mom, I don’t have any plans to be a mom in the near future and most of her book (hence the title) is about being a mom and Tori Spelling/famous. Even still, I think it’s funny. What’s not funny about random people staring at her at the pool, or her obsessing about a neighborhood block party, or her son grabbing her boobs at the playground. Her stories are funny and she isn’t afraid to embarrass herself. She strikes me as goofy and normal. She could be your neighbor if your neighbor lived in a gated community and was in a reality TV show.

I have always felt sorry for celeb moms or celebs in general where an ideal body weight is that of a pre-pubescent girl. It’s not realistic that a new mom can catwalk down the Victoria Secret runway a few weeks after giving birth (Heidi Klum is some kind of genetic anomaly). Spelling confronts this issue head-on. Talking about the pressures of looking her best and losing the baby weight before someone publishes her picture next to a comment about being fat or pregnant. No one needs that kind of pressure.

So, my advice, if it's cold and dark outside, go to the libary and pick up sTORI Telling and while there grab Mommywood. It's a nice escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment