Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thankful 19

So last night at my writer’s meeting we were supposed to bring a poem, short story, etc. about being thankful. Well I’m all thankful’d out from this blog so I didn’t do my homework. Oops! But this one man wrote a short dialogue about imagination. And this got me thinking – great idea. I’m thankful for my imagination, too.

The funny thing is I think we take our imagination for granted. I didn't even think to be thankful for it until someone else reminded me! No one past the age of five brags about having a great imagination. But think of how much happier we’d all be if we just took five minutes to day dream every day. Do you remember how to day dream? I still do it. I find myself letting my mind wander and suddenly I’m on a beach somewhere, or my favorite restaurant, or back home curled up in bed. It’s relaxing. Day dreaming lets me escape from the sometimes mundane.

I bet everyone uses their imagination every day. I know I do. I have to come up with advertising campaigns for my job so I’m constantly trying to think of new ways to say the same thing. What about at home… when you have to decorate your house. You have to use your imagination, thinking about where you want everything, what photo would look just right above your mantel.

I remember being so gloriously happy as a kid just making up games with my sister and our friends. My dad had built us a playhouse in the backyard and we would spend days out there in the summer. The playhouse was a log cabin in the wilderness (think Laura Ingalls) or a mansion or a beach hut.

I’ll even admit that when I was a lot younger I made up an imaginary friend. Her name was Katie and I could describe Katie to the very last detail. Even now if I think hard I can remember my five year old self’s description of her.

The funny thing is its completely normal for kid’s to have make-believe worlds. It’s even encouraged – dress-up anyone? But for adults we don’t celebrate our imagination enough so for today – take a break and day dream and remember what it was like at seven to have your Barbie’s whole life mapped out (or G.I. Joe if you’re a guy).

3 comments:

  1. You know, this made me wonder, with all the video games, and movies, and all that, are kids really even getting outside and playing like we did? Because I think it has to be good for the development of a child's brain, and I'm a little concerned.

    I do use my imagination A LOT still. Haha, a lot of times I feel like I'm still in highschool dreaming before I go to bed. But of course this time, it's dreaming about what you wish you could have said to that coworker, or winning the lottery and going on vacation, instead of dreaming what it would be like for the quarterback to ask you out! :)

    I all but had an imaginary friend too. Except it was my American Doll Samantha, so even though there was a "thing" there, it really was imaginary. Even though I would have sworn up and down she spoke to me and got me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a Samantha doll too. She's actually still at my parents house. You know they discontinued her a few years ago (my mom emailed me saying I should go buy up all the clothes I don't have - for what I don't know...). Anyway I went to the site and all the clothes were gone it was like a V.S. after the semi-annual sale. I loved her though - she probably talked to me too. ;)

    And I don't think kids play pretend as much now with video games. It's sad. Get outside kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I'm laughing at what you would have done with all those Samantha clothes!

    ReplyDelete