Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Favorite Thing: Winter Coats

So I do wonder sometimes if my blog comes across as superficial but then I sit back and think these are my favorite things so if you're favorite things are discussing Mozart or the value of democracy then have at it... on your own blog. My favorite things happen to be pop culture, fashion, writing, reading, etc.

In case you haven't realized by now I have a thing for clothes. Or maybe fashion is the right word? The funny thing is until two years ago my obsession with all things fashion did not extend to winter coats. I was like the mom in the Shopaholic movie - coats had to be practical, which meant they fell into one of three categories: black, brown, or puffy. Fashionable coats weren't practical. Why on earth would I want a neon yellow trench - where would I wear it? I could convince myself a yellow purse was a necessity - a neutral even but a coat...

Until I was flipping through my Glamour or Cosmo and stumbled across an ad for Dillard's. More specifically the prettiest white coat I had ever seen with a tortoise shell clasp at the waist and a huge collar. I was in love or if you read my other post - obsessed. I had to have it.

Luckily for me two things were working in my favor.
A. It was a Jessica Simpson coat so not terribly expensive
B. I'm a hoarder and I had hoarded a stack of gift cards from the previous Christmas and my birthday. I had so many I wouldn't even have to pay for the coat. (I'm also very thrifty). It was practically a gift and gifts could be deliciously impractical.

So I headed off to Dillard's. The coat came in a few colors: my delicious white obsession and charcoal grey being two of them. I took both off to the dressing room.

The grey one practically purred, "Pick me. I'm practical. Who wants a white coat that will only get dirty?"

Still as practical as it was - it wasn't the coat. The white one (if it could talk) would have said, "Pick me. Anyone can have a grey coat. Besides who wants to be practical?"

The funny thing is when it comes to most things fashion I can talk myself into the most impractical things (if they're in my price range anyway). I will snap up a pair of purple snake skin stilettos without even looking at it's black, grey or brown counterparts. Because who needs plain old grey snake skin stilettos?

So I did what I normally do when I can't make a decision. I took both of them out of the dressing room and cornered the poor salesgirl. "What do you think?"

"Well, no one has really gotten the white. They think it will stain. The grey is a better seller. It's so much more practical." She must have seen my face fall or that she was quickly losing my sale because she stopped. "The white is really pretty though."

That was all I needed. The validation that it was ok. I took the white coat home and didn't question myself again. And it really is practical. I can wear it with anything. And if it stains - well that's what dry cleaners are for.

So my favorite thing this week is winter coats. The practical, the impractical and everything in between. And since my white coat purchase I've added a three quarter sleeve 60's style coat and my latest addition - a Christmas present to myself - a plum pea coat.

So my advice is embrace winter with open arms!

And if you're looking for some good deals on coats Old Navy was running a 50% off sale on coats. ;)

1 comment:

  1. First off, you post too many blogs a day, I can't keep up! ;)

    I love my winter white coat as well (and I know which one you're talking about here too!). I love how it totally dresses up a work outfit, or can look so polished with jeans. I've never had any issues with it staining either. And like you said, that's what dry cleaners are for.

    PS - loved the verb purred! ;0

    ReplyDelete