Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Obsessions Fall 2009

Ok I have to admit about every other month or so I get obsessed with finding one object to fill my fashion dreams. In the spring it was a bright yellow purse (I went to two malls, two Marshalls and finally found one in SteinMart). For months yellow was my go-to neutral (whether or not it’s actually a neutral is debatable but it looks delicious with almost everything). Last fall it was Rihanna-inspired ankle boots. The most perfect little Nine West black leather boots with a piece that folded over and was buckled down on one side. I went to three malls begging Macy’s to keep calling to find my new love. I finally tracked them down, bought them and they have sat in my closet since then. I love them but my wardrobe is probably more Audrey Hepburn than Rihanna and I need to add some more rocker pieces to make it work.

So my latest obsessions for fall are leggings and boots.

I love boots. I can’t begin to even explain how wonderful it feels to find a good pair of boots. I remember this scene from friends where Rachel is trying to explain buying a pair of boots and I can see how no one else gets it but I want to yell, “I get it Rachel.” Shoes can make your wardrobe and a hot pair of boots can make your fall and winter. The problem with boots is when you wear them everyday they barely make it through one season. So a few weeks ago I trotted off to Macy’s in search of my new winter boots. I went in thinking I’d be good, I need black boots. I won’t even look at the other boots. But all those shiny leather boots stared back at me practically begging me to try them on. I ended up with three pairs.

So my must have boots this fall, well I got my black work boots – every girl needs a good pair of black leather boots. Not too sexy (no thigh-high boots unless your job is something akin to Julia Roberts’ in Pretty Woman) and work appropriate - perfect under slacks or with dresses or skirts.

My two other pairs are my love of the season – the slouchy boot. You know the type; you can pull them up so they are just slightly slouchy or push them down so they have little ripples running down your legs. I got two pairs, one with a heel in black (they are casual – you have to have a casual and a dressy pair) and a brown pair that’s flat.

My second love is leggings. I’m late to jump on this fashion bandwagon (or trend-wagon?). I wore leggings the first go-round in the 80’s and was protesting them for that reason alone. Except on one shopping trip to New York and Company they had a special, buy a tunic and get a pair of leggings for free. I encourage you to try them. It’s like wearing work out pants only more stylish. You can wear them with flats or heels. I haven’t tried them with a skirt or dress – I don’t want to look like an 18 year old. But I love them with long tunics. Make sure the tunic covers your butt – it’s actually probably good if it hits mid-thigh, anything shorter is too short.

So those are my two obsessions right now – what are yours? Comment and we can discuss.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I am loving LOOOVING your blogs! Haha! Let's see, you might be a little right about being late to jump on the leggings bandwagon, but each year it seems like they come up with a new way to make them work. First it was the shorter ones under denim skirts, then shorter ones with high heels instead of flats, then they moved to under boots, etc., so as long as you don't pull out the calf length under a micro denim mini, I think you're okay!

    Let's see, my obsession this fall is sort of along the same lines as yours, boots, but I want thigh high boots to wear over skinny jeans. Two problems with this... my two legs! They are not skinny enough for that look, but I love it. Oh and ankle boots are still in the season, so I think you can rock them, but yea, you need to get some sort of edgy dress or jeans. Why is it when you're obsessed with one item, you end up having to get a full wardrobe to make it work?

    Oh, something else I'm obsessed with is finding winter and fall clothes in colors other than brown, black, and grey. I love the colors, but of course you can never find anything long sleeved in anything other than a nuetral. I read that some shade of a deeper turquoise is in this fall (not sure what the color is called).

    Ok, longest comment ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you're loving it!! I'm trying to bribe people into signing up to read it... so far it's not working. I might have to resort to paying people. Even my mom won't follow me although not sure she knows how to sign up.... will have to bug her when she comes to my house next time. lol :)

    So I think I'm late on the leggings but they keep kicking around so I have hope I can get at least a season or two out of them. I will say they are as comfortable as all get out. It's like a free pass to wear sweats and call it fashionable.

    Anyway, the thigh high boots are everywhere!!! Although I haven't seen them in real life and it could be b/c you're right you need super model legs to pull it off. I'd get them and then I'd be stuck amping up my wardrobe.

    I heard turquoise is big and it's so pretty. I agree w/you that I hate just brown, black and grey. Although black and I have a love affair b/c it's so easy. I like the deep jewel purples and blues too. I got this jewel colored blue dress at The Limited and it's the simpliest little thing and I get the most compliments on it and I think its the color.

    Do I sense a shopping trip in the future?

    ReplyDelete