Monday, November 30, 2009

Make Up Review Almay intense i-color play up thickening mascara

Wow long name. Okay, let's start by saying I love Maybelline mascara. The only time I usually use anything else is if it came with a free gift from a department store. Nothing against Clinique or Estee Lauder mascara but I've never seen how they are any better than Maybelline and they are at least twice as expensive. My feeling is if you can get a great product for around $8 why spend $20 plus?

That being said I was inspired by my recent writer's club meeting. A woman there had on royal blue mascara. I liked it because it was unexpected.

So off to CVS I went. Unfortunately as far as I can tell Maybelline does not make colored mascara. So I settled for the Almay mascara mentioned above. I'm not a blue girl so I chose the Purple Amethyst and as an added bonus apparently this brings out my eye color.

The pros: the mascara goes on and comes off easily. No eye make-up remover needed. Also, it didn't clump on me even after I added multiple coats.

The cons: It's not my blackest black Maybelline? Actually this is a complaint. It's so subtly purple you can't even tell and on my naturally black lashes it looks almost brown - and if you know me you know that I detest brown mascara (it might be okay for people with pale lashes but bring on ultra-black for me). In Almay's defense this mascara would probably be okay on someone with fair lashes (or someone who doesn't like to use the darkest mascara known to mankind).

The first day I wore it by itself (two coats on all lashes top and bottom). When I grilled my husband he couldn't even tell it was purple and in his defense I had to test it on my hand to be sure it was. Today I tried layering it over my black mascara. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try to exchange it for a new tube of my Maybelline Intense XXL.

On a side note and an unofficial review. I also bought Almay intense i-color bring out powder shadow. Seriously, they need to work on their names - well known make-up colors always have short quirky names not names that take half a sentence to write. I didn't like the color choice for brown eyes so I bought the one for green eyes - its two green powder shadows and one purple. I need to try it again but the day I wore it, the colors go on pretty intense and then faded to almost nothing by the end of the day. I will say it didn't crease (just like their website promises). Anyway, I'm going to say this is unofficial since I've only tried it once but once I play with it some more I'll give a final verdict.

So my quest for a colored mascara continues. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I have a TON of comments to say here.

    1. I'd heard the buzz about these subtle colors and how it's supposed to enhance your color, so I did try the Almay purple as well. I couldn't tell at all it was colored, and I'm sorry, but my eyes didn't look any brighter, and I'm right there with you about the blackest glam black for mascara. So, it was a triple disappointment.

    2. I also tried Cover Girl's Lash Blash Luxe, in all three colors, haha, can you believe I bought it in black, blue and purple? First off, I'm not impressed with Cover Girl at all, so I was disappointed in the mascara to begin with. Second, I didn't see the hints of colored flecks, and in fact, it took a few days of washing my face and being like "Why is my mascara purple on this towel" to remember that I had bought the colored mascara. So, I guess there is some color in it, you just can't see it on.

    3. A few years ago (yes, this colored mascara is not a new phenomenon, even though all the mascara brands would like us to think it is) I bought a Navy Blue hint from some mascara brand, I can't remember who, as I read in Glamour or some other equal magazine that Navy Blue is supposed to make your eyes pop, this color was the only one I could tell I was wearing a different color, meaning in the sun it would tint navy blue, but alas, I can't remember now who makes it.

    4. In the summer time, I've been known to wear straight up turquoise or bright blue mascara. It's really fun on a random evening out, or to a concert, or a barbque, something were you don't have to be too formal. I just buy the random generic brand at Ulta or wherever as I don't wear it that often and I don't want to spend mad bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Subtle colors is a load of crap. I'm not into subtle unless it's foundation, concealer, blush or lipstick. Eyeshadow and mascara are meant to be seen - why else where it. I don't want a natural flush to my eyes - no I want them freaking smoky and gorgeous. I'm 90% sure I'm taking this back. I even dug the containers they came in out of the trash so I could return it. lol

    I'm going to have to keep searching. Good to know about the Cover Girl one b/c was debating trying it. The Ulta sounds like a good deal though b/c they would be cheap.

    I'm not going to lie I tried to find Wet and Wild but surprisingly they don't sell that - I figured anyone who made glitter eyeshadows would make colored mascara --- I was wrong.

    ReplyDelete