Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Favorite Thing of the Week

This idea is my new weekly post. I figured Wednesday is a slow day and if I can’t write the rest of the week I can at least come up with a good post (or at least a mediocre post) every Wednesday. My idea is to highlight one thing that I like and hopefully you’ll try it and like it too.

So my favorite thing this week? I’m going to go for Project Runway. If you haven’t seen it, you should. Basically all these wanna-be designers compete to win a chance to show at fashion week (usually in NY but this year in CA). Then one designer is crowned the Project Runway winner.

Along the way they do these crazy challenges, like design a costume for Christina Aguilera, or maternity clothes, or pieces inspired by Michael Kor’s favorite places. My only complaint is this season Christina Aguilera and Lindsey Lohan were both guest judges. I like Aguilera but she doesn’t exactly scream relevant in the music industry and Lohan – really??? I don’t think anyone is looking to her for expert fashion advice. They’ve also had a ton of guest judges this season and I really like it better when it’s Heidi, Nina and Michael (then you can add a random guest judge but not all random guest judges except Heidi).

The designers all have attitude and think they are amazing and everyone else barely passed Home Economics. Usually by this point I would have a clear favorite but so far it’s more about the people I know I hate like this one girl Irena – she comes across as such a bitch a show. She just complains and trash talks everyone else and thinks her designs are so much better. The sad thing is she really is good but I don’t like her personality so I keep hoping they’ll kick her off.

I have to say I love Heidi Klum on Project Runway but Tim Gunn makes the show. My husband has been trying to get his impression of Gunn right ever since I started torturing him with the show (hey it’s payback for all that baseball and football he makes me watch). I would love to meet Gunn and pick his brain for all that wonderful fashion advice. I actually bought his book a few months ago and need to read it (I sense another book review…). For awhile he had another show on Bravo helping women learn how to dress and since I’m also a sucker for make-over shows I loved that too. Instead of What Not To Wear, where Stacey and Clinton (love them) basically trash these clueless fashion victims Gunn took a more gentle mentoring approach. He didn’t automatically toss all their clothes and send them semi-blind off with a credit card. He explained what worked and didn’t work for their body, gave them a list of classic pieces to buy, and then actually helped them keep some of their favorites by slightly altering the pieces so it worked for their body type.

Anyway, back to Project Runway, I think you’ll love it if you haven’t already watched it. Even if you’re not a huge fashion fan it’s amazing. I am in awe of how these people come up with the designs, buy the fabric and create actual clothes in a day. It’s almost enough to make me want to learn to sew…. Almost but not quite.

So even though there are only like three episodes left you have to check it out. It’s Thursdays at 10 on Lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment