Thursday, November 12, 2009

Khaki Pants - I'm Blaming It On The Rain...

So I know I should probably post something about my book club but I'm saving it for tomorrow. I was thinking today (on the way home from puppy class) about something I really hate and yet it's still sitting in my closet. I hate khaki pants. I'm wearing them right now and I hate them. I'm going to be honest I feel like an over-grown girl scout or camp counselor in khakis. It is probably one of the least coolest things (I feel like) in my closet. Yet, for some reason I have my trusty pair to break out on days like today - i.e. rainy, lazy, all my other go-to outfits are just not working for me.

I'm not sure what it is about khakis - I know a lot of people love them. My mom for one is a huge fan of the preppy look. I always feel like I don't get it right though or I feel just blah. And really... your clothes shouldn't make you feel blah, you should feel awesome - ready to conquor the world - or at least a sudoko puzzle.

So I could challenge myself to give away everything in my closet that makes me feel blah and I do sometimes. About twice a year the spring cleaning bug gets me and I haul bags off to the Goodwill. Yet, for some reason I cling to a few things that I know look a. horrible b. not horrible but not great c. are the go-to lazy outfit or d. might come back in style at some point (hey leggings did). I don't think I'm alone in this? I feel like there are probably women (and men) everywhere who have a few outfits in their closet that would find a better home elsewhere. But why cling to them then?

I'd like to think that maybe some day I can get the khaki pant look right but I'm not sure I can. I don't think khakis are me. So this gets me thinking because a lot of stylist say you should have a signature look that's you and you don't veer from this look (sounds a little boring to me). I've seen quizes that relate signature style to Katharine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Gwen Stefani, etc. Part of me thinks that's a great place to start. Pick someone you like and use them as inspiration. But lets face it there is only one of those ladies and copying their style probably isn't the best route for you.

My personal stance on the subject is to find things you like and work off that. Open your closet and see if you can find a pattern. I know mine - a little Audrey Hepburn, a dash of hippie/70's, a lot of primary colors (reds, purples, black, white - not pastels) and a lot of fun shoes and bags. So what does this mean for me? I gravitaty towards classic clothes but like to punch it up with accessories or a few trendy pieces here and there. I'm not a slave to trends because like we were talking about in book club last night somethings are around for ever (think pencil skirts, high heels, ballet flats, tailored dresses) and some things are around for a season or two (think pleather pants, belly shirts, shoulder pads).

And my main tip - find things that work for you. Face it not everyone can pull off skinny jeans and thigh high boots - it's not your body that has it wrong its the clothes. Glamour had a great article last month about celebrating the body you have and a big part of that is to not get discouraged because the top that looks great on your best friend makes it look like you gained ten pounds.

So should I give my khaki pants away? Probably. I'm good at helping other people go through their wardrobe but part of me makes me hang onto them. They're like hanging onto your skinny jeans you haven't fit into since high school - there is a sort of challenge hanging out there that I can make this work.

So in closing... let's talk for a minute about your favorite outfit in your closet (can be more than one) and your least favorite. Who is your style icon? How would you describe your look?

I'll go first. Favorite things (of the moment anyway): blue dress from The Limited (simple empire waist, slight flair to the skirt, hits above the knee) - dress up or down, black and white asymetical skirt, my Nine West purple, white, green and black painted shoes (looks better than I described), black pants, leggings/tights, knee-high boots, grey suede heels, leather flip flops, tunics, and jeans.

Least Favorite: khaki pants, button up shirts, sweaters, most turtlenecks, and over-sized t's that you get for free from random places.

Style Icon: Audrey is my girl. There is something so timeless about her. But I would say Audrey with a mix of Charlotte from Sex in the City, a little Kate Hudson (got to have my hippie-chic), and Stacey London.

And I kind of already described my look so we're not repeating that.

I think if you take that with you when you go shopping and really analyze everything you buy you can find pieces that will quickly make your favorites list miles long. Remember, buy things you really love not things that you think are trendy but don't really do anything for you or you don't feel comfortable in. SP said last night at book club it's all about confidence. You can pull off the craziest outfit if it fits well and you own it.

And my advice if you are going to do a big closet clean-out... give things to people who need them. Donating gently used items can be a tax deduction or find a consignment shop and make a few extra dollars. I've never done it but there are bitch and swap parties where you can gather friends and trade items.

Can't wait to hear you're answers to my questions! :)

2 comments:

  1. OMG! This post was sooo classic! Get ready for longest comment EVER!

    1. I totally agree, I hate Khakis too, but I don't feel preppy or camp counselor, I feel 100% like a tree hugging I like women (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was trying to clarify between the manly ones and the feminine ones).

    2. I throw out all my clothes about twice a year that I don't feel amazing in when I put them on. It makes me wonder why I even bought them, but you said it girl! You should feel awesome in clothes!! If not, time to toss them! So, to answer your first question, TOSS THOSE PANTS!!

    3. Loved the pleather pants reference! :)

    4. I totally know all the outfits you were describing as your favorite, and I think you rock them out!! My favorite of the moment... I'll have to think about it. But that leads me to believe I need new clothes. I should know instantly, right?

    5. I'm ready to get rid of all my button up shirts as well and any sort of cable knit sweaters also!

    6. Style icon - it's 8 on Friday and I'm about to go meet a friend for some wine, I will think about this over dinner!

    7. I did say it was about confidence, and I totally stand by that!! You walk in like you own the most heinous outfit, and I can guarantee half the girls in the room will be trying to figure out where they can go tomorrow to find that same outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha This is a long comment. It's ok though. I like it when they actually prompt a discussion.

    1. LMAO. I agree with this 100%.

    2. I try to toss clothes and shoes twice a year. I could never do the party where you swap though b/c the clothes are usually ones I hate.

    3. I knew you would.

    4. Too funny you knew what they were. I knew in my head right away what my favs were... I can't reccommend whether or not you should go shopping haha

    5. I don't know why I hate button ups. I even tried one on yesterday to see if I still hated them and yeah I do. I feel like a librarian and they are never cut right so I feel like they are always super boxy...

    6. Let me know who you decided.

    7. You're totally right about people trying to copy even heinous outfits if someone owns it. Look at some of the horrible fashion that comes out of things like Lindsey Lohan rocking a pair of acid wash jeans...

    ReplyDelete