Sunday, November 8, 2009

Craft Shows and Butterscotch Pancakes

This weekend was quite the packed schedule. The best part being it was packed with things I actually wanted to do as opposed to running errands.

Two of my favorite things happened this weekend.

First, the Fall Craft Show at the Raceway in Richmond. I am a sucker for craft shows. I know this makes me sound like I’m about 85 years old and I collect things made out of tissue paper and ribbon. Seriously though Richmond has some great craft shows and I have the schedule mapped out. The spring craft show at the Raceway is in March then there is Arts in the Park around May and then the fall show in November.

If you have never been to a craft show you should. You can find some really unique things. I like the two shows at the Raceway the best since the price ranges vary. Arts in the Park, while lovely items, tends to be out of my budget. I’m not going to lie there probably will be somewhere there making snowmen out of cotton balls and felt but just skip over their booth, unless you like that sort of thing.

My best finds at craft shows have been photographs and other art work. You get pieces that aren’t Joe Generic Bed Bath and Beyond images and it’s neat to actually meet the artist. I got a handmade wooden bowl one year, images of NJ this year (what are the odds a vendor is from West Long Branch NJ and had photos of Point Pleasant in Richmond?). I also was able to find a custom furniture maker one year and he’s been very reasonable and makes awesome pieces. I also have an all natural soap maker I like and I plan my visit to stock up on soaps until the next show.

And my second favorite thing of the weekend was I got to see one of my best friends. I love having friends over or visiting friends. And I love having friends that no matter how long you’ve been apart it’s like nothing has happened. I don’t know how you meet people like this but I highly recommend it. I met S in NJ and we became fast friends. I feel like I’ve known her forever and to me she’s one of those friends that seeing her again is like picking up right where we left off. Now that we’re both back in the south and in different states we don’t see each other as often. So, we packed up and went down for the weekend. It was just super relaxing and good to catch up. This morning her husband made butterscotch pancakes and they were so delicious. I never would have thought to do that but now I’m wondering if Kroger is still open so I can run out and get some butterscotch chips. It’s like eating a yummy cookie for breakfast – I recommend it.

Hope you all had a great weekend too!

4 comments:

  1. I was bad at the craft fair! But that's what happens when you're there for a few hours because your aunt has a booth. I bought a 4160 carpet bag! Yes! A carpet bag. But it is gorgeous, and I need it for my morning commute. Ok! I NEED it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it. I bet it's really cool. I wanted this purple/blue leather purse but I couldn't pull the trigger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll help your aunt sell next time if she wants. I like selling stuff and I love craft shows haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can totally help! I don't know why but I thought it was fun to hang out there all day, with a badge on, feeling important. I don't know if she'll be back though, she said it was her worst show ever! :(

    ReplyDelete