Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Movie Review Number 2: Paranormal Activity

I hate scary movies. I will avoid them like the plague. I don’t get the appeal of being scared. Not to mention most scary movies are weak in the plot department – relying on unnecessary violence and gore and cheap scare tactics instead of dialogue. Even then I get freaked out easily, I could get freaked out watching CSI – every little noise is suddenly some random serial killer trying to break-in – blame an overactive imagination.

Still, about every two years or so I’ll actually voluntarily decide to watch a scary movie. This goes along with a good two weeks of psyching myself up to it. This year, two separate radio shows were talking about how amazing Paranormal Activity was. How it was the best scary movie in years that it was more psychological than gore, etc. I could deal with the psychological thriller. So we decided to watch it.

First off, let me say this movie is not as great as all the hype. I was expecting the scary movie to end all scary movies. The beginning drags, it’s basically shaky camera work of a young couple filming each other because the girlfriend believes she’s being haunted. I don’t like watching shots of people’s torsos having a conversation and they waste too much time with the couple just joking around with nothing happening.

In case you didn’t know they film this like the Blair Witch and if you’re not into the amateur video look this is not the movie for you.

When things start happening, I just didn’t buy into the story. I felt like the boyfriend was fake (maybe just bad acting). He tormented the demon/ghost (seriously who is going to yell things about show yourself to something supernatural), bought a Ouija Board to communicate with it after he was told not to by an expert on demons (where do you find experts on demons and how do you make that your career?), and generally just didn’t seem to buy into the whole demon thing as much as his girlfriend. And if he doesn’t believe it – why should I? Not to mention the fact the whole time I was thinking, you guys are only dating - you can walk out at anytime and you better believe I’d have been out of there so fast…

I also want to talk about the ads for the movie which basically show the audience jumping back and screaming, etc. I didn’t scream once and frankly I question anyone who would get that freaked out. I feel like I can question this since I’m the jumpiest person you can take to a scary movie. I’m the girl in the back row with her eyes closed and her hands over her ears. I get scared watching America’s Most Wanted. In Paranormal Activity, you never really see anything. I was expecting a demon to charge the camera and when it never happened I actually felt let down. When the demon does actually do something it looks like just wind or you hear footsteps. Yawn.

Save your money. I'm sure there are better scary movies out there - I just can't really reccommend any because the last ones I voluntarily watched were the Scream movies and I'm pretty sure most of you have already seen that.

No comments:

Post a Comment