Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Dry Skin Remedies

I have eczema and before that I've always had dry skin prone to allergic reactions. Sounds hot I know. I'm not a doctor and I'm not claiming to have the answers but over the years I've figured out what works and what doesn't.

Throw out:

1. Anything with scents. This includes but is not limited to lotions, dryer sheets, laundry detergent, soaps, etc. Scents will almost always irritate your skin. Second, most lotions with scents in them aren't the potent stuff you need to ward off dry itchy skin anyways.

2. Look for things that are hyper-allergenic. Fancy word for basically saying they've tested it on people and most people don't have a reaction.

Soaps...

1. All natural soaps. I met a guy at a craft show and he makes his own soaps. I swear by them. I use them on my face instead of expensive face washes, I use them 80% of the time instead of body wash. And when I use them I notice a difference, my skin doesn't break out on contact, it's not as dry, etc.

2. If you use body washes find ones with oils or creams and non-scented. Dove is really good.

3. Make-up counter ladies will probably be horrified but the best facial cleaners I've found are Clearasil Daily Face Wash (removes make-up and prevents those random break-outs) and Olay age Defying Daily Renewal Cleanser (gently exfoliates and takes off make-up). I tend to alternate between the two. I even read in a magazine that recommended not spending tons of cleansers since you're just washing them off and invest your money in anti-aging lotions instead.

Let's talk lotions for a second...

1. Eucerin is hands down my favorite. Anything Eucerin is worth the money. They make awesome face creams - with anti-aging and SPF (Walgreen's almost always has them). I swear by their moisturizers for my face. I stopped using department store lotions after my skin just would not stop breaking out (the derm told me it was too dry and the lotion I was using wasn't giving it enough moisturizer). I always tell people now that break-outs can also be caused from lack of oil - basically your skin is stressed and trying to over-compensate so you get those lovely red dots!

I also love their body creams and lotions. They have one that is great for summer with SPF 15 - anything that makes my life easier! They also have some really thick lotions for when your skin is feeling extra parched.

Anyway, I cannot say enough good things about Eucerin - I have honestly not had a product of theirs I don't like (if you're reading this Eucerin call me!).

2. Shea butter. It has to be 100% Shea and not a mixture. The easiest way to find it is on Amazon. Super smooth and soothing.

3. Burt's Bees Coconut Foot Cream. One word - Amazing. I got this on vacation this summer. My feet were irritate from walking around on hot sun and I needed something quick. I remembered a Glamour article about coconut being one thing that can really help with dry skin. I found my tube at CVS. I think the back says to use it twice a day for a week. I used it at night (get some socks its really oily) and in two days my feet were sandal ready.


Other advice for irritated skin:

1. Avoid long hot showers or baths (unless an oatmeal bath and even then don't use blistering hot water).

2. Exfoliate to remove dead skin cells.

3. Use lotion constantly. I put lotion on all over before bed and in the morning. I try to put it on my hands and elbows even more frequently. (After every hand washing session practically).

4. If it's really bad seek out medical advice. They can prescribe medicines and creams to help.

5. If it's really itchy Benadryl can help relieve the itch. I've also used hydrocortisone creams for itching. If your skin gets really irritated Neosporin is also a good option if your skin looks really raw.

Anyway, I know this isn't a fun topic but everyone wants to have nice skin (even guys should pay attention!). Let me know options that have worked for you!

1 comment:

  1. Listen to what she says people! She has amazing skin! :)

    ReplyDelete