Monday, December 21, 2009

20 Knockout Dresses of a Decade - comments and thoughts

So Entertainment Weekly posted this story about the twenty knockout dresses of the decade. First, I'm pretty sure the decade ends in 2010 not 2009 but whatever...

They are defining this as people that displayed high style... let me know what you think. Here are my favorites and what I think are misses for them...

Serena (aka Blake Lively) in Tory Burch. The dress is ok but I don't think its a knockout or anything we haven't seen before. It's a gold sequin dress... yawn for pick 2.

Anne Hathaway in Atelier Versace. Again not a fan. I guess it's daring and different but I don't love the color on her or the style.
Cate Blanchett in Valentino. I'm not a huge yellow person but this dress is amazing. Agree 100% she looks awesome and the dress is a knockout.

Lady Gaga just bothers me. Ok so she's inventive (I guess that's what you call it) but to me a knockout dress is something that other women would want to wear. There is nothing about this outfit that makes me want to wear it. Half of her get-ups make her look totally ridiculous and the other half are completely unwearable.

I'm more of a Charlotte fan myself but this Versace dress Carrie (aka Sarah Jessica Parker) wore is gorgeous. The tutu, the color, the sparkle. Perfection.Emma Watson in Ossie Clark. Could I please raid her closet for a day? I love this dress. I would wear this dress everywhere and not even care that its too dressy for 99.9% of the things I go to.
I love Reese and this Nina Ricci dress is simple, almost wouldn't call it a knockout but her whole look is good. I like the red shoes as a nice and unexpected contrast. I think this really shows Reese coming into her own.

I'll do another post soon with dresses I think they forgot. I need to do some Google research.
Photos from www.ew.com.

4 comments:

  1. Ok, first I hate to call you out, but the decade is over. 2010 begins the next decade! :) 2000-2009 is ten years, a decade! 10-19, 20-29, etc.

    I agree, some of these dresses gorgeous, some, meh! My favs were Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Angelina Jolie (although no one but her could pull off a leather dress!), and Kate Winslet.

    I agree with your Serena, Lady Gaga, and Emma Watson comments!

    And some were nice dresses and all, but I'd hardly use the word "knockout." Like to me that means you take one look at the person and is like "WOW!" and your breath is taken away. Most of these were like "these are pretty dresses" but no knockout factor was involved.

    I can't wait to see what ones you thought were the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No because by my math it starts in 2001 and ends in 2010. That the new century or whatever didn't really begin in 2000 but 2001. See my link that I actually took the time to google (basically way back when there was no year 0 so 1 starts a decade so 2010 would be 10 year - thats my cliffnote version if you don't want to read teh entire link) http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/mil2000.html

    I totally think that a knockout dress has to be a WOW dress not a she looks good but so-so dress. Some of them they picked like there Serena dress is just ok. She looks great, the dress is pretty but what makes it that much different than any other sparkly dress.

    Augh and Lady Gaga - we were discussing her at work today and lets just say I'm not the only one that just doesn't get her. I'm off for a few days so the googling of dresses is about to begin.

    I'm still in love with the Emma Watson dress that's probably going to be my number one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the big debate! Haha! Back in 1999 when everyone was like "no! the last year of the millennium is actually 2000, so that's the big blow out." Do you remember that controversy!? Haha! I'm going with 2009 is the end because in real math, you organize groups of ten like 0-9. Plus, there was no year at all back in 1 AD, so while you have a valid point there was no year 0, the years in general back then was just something historians made up to date events and stuff. They had to start somewhere, so yes, they started with 1. But if they had asked a mathematician to do the timeline, you can bet there'd have been a year 0!

    We can agree to disagree on that :) and on Serena v Blair! (But on their clothes only, I pick neither in the personality and would like them to be my friend department).

    Emma Watson has had some super cute stuff this whole year, you should find some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll agree to disagree on the year and still like you haha....

    Yeah not sure I'd want Serena or Blair as my friend. Serena would probably ditch me for the first married man she saw or drag me into some kind of scandal and Blair would just stab you in the back the second you didn't do what she wanted.

    It'll be 20 dresses of Emma Watson. I did add my first two. Miss Emma took number one. She goes to school in Providence where I went for work but alas she didn't happen to wander through my hotel.

    ReplyDelete