Sunday, December 27, 2009

Was It Worth The Wait?

We got up early this morning and went to church - an early New Year's Resolution. The sermon started asking if Christmas was worth the wait and then dove into how after it was prophesied Jesus was coming they waited 400 years.... I'm not going that deep... I'm going to start with the first half - Christmas - was it worth the wait?

I get so excited for the build-up for Christmas. Not quite as excited as I was at four pouring over the Toys R Us catalogue but almost. I throw myself into decorating almost as soon as Thanksgiving is over. I wrap presents, I make cookies, I plan outings to see lights. It's all a lot of build up for one day.

Now it's over, the presents unwrapped, the cookies sitting in tins, the lights still twinkling in the windows - there is a bit of a let down. Not because I didn't get that awesome toy but because now I have to wait a whole year until we can do it again and it's sad that it takes holidays to get together with family. That we don't get super excited over it just being a regular plain old Thursday.

I'm going to suggest that my family do a picnic or something in the summer. Why do we have to wait 365 days until next Christmas to see some people? Besides the weather in June is a lot better than December.

2 comments:

  1. I like the summer picnic idea. It seems like the only times we see our family is when it's "required" - holidays, weddings, funerals. We always have a great time with them, so why not schedule something mid-year! Do it!

    I am proud of you for going to church! :) I wouldn't mind going with you if you need someone!

    I hate how it's always sort of like "ok, it's over" after the big build up. People take down the decorations almost immediately and bam, it's like Christmas never happened. Sort of sad. I love the decorations. But mostly I love being with family, and as you pointed out, no reason we can't do that more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think its a good idea because it was a lot of fun to see everyone and relaxing too. I'm not looking forward to Monday though.

    Let me know about church. We went to my dad's church but to the early service because its contemporary - my parents go to the 10 am that's traditional. I kinda liked it - they had a band, etc.

    I'm not taking my decorations down until like July... well maybe mid-January.

    ReplyDelete