Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Grinch That Won't Take You Seriously

You know those people the ones that won't take you seriously (WTYS Grinch for short), lets just put it this way they're mildly annoying on a good day and downright aggravating on a bad day. WTYS Grinches come in multiple forms:

1. The Talk To You Like A Child WTYS Grinch is the person that uses a voice only appropriate for small children and dogs and only then if they've been loaded up on sugar and need to be spoken to as if they might go off in a rage at any second. These Grinches are one step away from saying "and what do you think little girl?" but of course your opinion doesn't really matter to them because in their eyes you will always be five years old.

2. The My Ideas Are Better Than Your Ideas WTYS Grinch is the one with loads more experience and age on you. Any idea you bring up is stupid simply for the reason that "did I mention I have forty years experience doing xyz" and "how old are you again?". There is nothing more infuriating then this Grinch. First off, it's never appropriate to question a person's education or age unless said person is a royal jerk or spouting off ideas like they want to do Wine Wednesdays for the next staff meeting. But alas with this Grinch your ideas can never be good enough "because you are just too young and inexperienced to get it."

3. The I don't have time for you WTYS Grinch. This Grinch is just too damn busy to slow down for two seconds and listen to you. They won't listen anyway because they're going to do exactly what they want to do and to hell with your ideas.

4. The I'm Going To Say Your Idea Sucks and Then Steal It WTYS Grinch (sorry for the long name). This Grinch will act as if your idea is quite possibly the dumbest idea known to mankind to your face and then turn around and use your idea in the meeting. "Did I hear you say that, no you must be mistaken because Silly Girl I came up with it." Rolling of eyes.

5. The I'm More Important Than You WTYS Grinch - easily mistaken for Grinch 2 this Grinch doesn't like your ideas simply for the fact that they are obviously more important than you are. This is either due to Grinch's false sense of self (Grinch really isn't that important) or Grinch's job title, education, social status, etc. Grinch believes in own ideas so much that you're ideas can't possibly be good for the simple fact that said Grinch did not come up with them.

I could go on and on (feel free to add your own in comments) but the key with Grinches is you have to take away their power. You have to make them see (through Christmas carols maybe) that they are wrong.

So how do you take down a WTYS Grinch? I don't have all the answers... I was hoping you did! But here are a few things that I've learned.

For Grinch 1. There isn't much you can do. Said person is a real jerk and no matter how old you are will continue to refer to you as "doll" and "you're too young to understand". Ignore said Grinch.

As for the other Grinches they make me work harder. Tell me I can't do something or my idea is horrible and I will fight tooth and nail to make sure my idea not only succeeds but does ten times better than your idea. These Grinches won't hold me down, irritating as they are, they motivate me. Tell me I can't pass a upperclassman class as freshman - watch me break the curve and have you begging me to help you study, tell me I can't get a dream job - watch me go in there and wow them. So Grinches beware...

1 comment:

  1. Ugh! I totally know these Grinches, and they are annoying! You summed it up pretty good! And I'd say I know a good number of these grinches. Unfortunately, since they are Grinches, they never see the error of their way.

    ReplyDelete