Sunday, December 20, 2009

Movie Review: August Rush

It snowed and since I barely made it out this weekend not much to do but catch up on Netflicks. I'm not sure how I feel about August Rush. It's okay. Three out of five stars - average. The story follows a little boy Evan (aka August) who was put up for adoption and his two parents who had a one night stand. The story just isn't remotely believable.

August's parents (who I'm too lazy to Google their name and I can't remember) are both musicians and meet at a party. They talk briefly before hooking up and then we're supposed to assume they are madly in love. They are torn apart but not before she gets pregnant. She then gets in a fight with father, gets hit by a car, has the baby, the father puts the baby up for adoption and tells her the baby died. How do you even put someone else's child up for adoption? I'm not sure that's even possible.

August is convinced that he can hear his parents through music and if he learns how to follow the music he can find them. He runs away from the orphanage and makes it to NYC. His parents meanwhile are now in CA and Chicago but also somehow get to NYC at around the same time. His mother at this point has found out he's alive and is trying to find him. August is a child protege and even though he's never played an instrument composes a symphony, gets into Julliard and oh by the way is only 11.

I won't give the rest away but you can probably guess.

Along the way August meets "Wizard" played by Robin Williams. Let's just say Williams comes across as a major jerk and creep. He reminds me of this guy we read about in A Fine Balance in book club who just picks up little kids and trains them to be beggars. His character really did nothing to add to the movie.

Overall, the movie was average. I wouldn't rush out to rent it but I wouldn't say if it was between that and say some stupid reality TV I might pick the movie. The plot isn't the least bit believable and runs a little slow at points. Rent Grand Torino first.

No comments:

Post a Comment