Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy 2009!?!

New Years Eve... the end of one year and the celebration of a new beginning. Hello 2010. We anxiously set up resolutions that half of us have no intentions of keeping. The gyms suddenly become more crowded. We're eagerly watching our diets - no I can't possibly have another cookie. We throw parties. Drink champagne and then its January 1st and when we wake up 2010 is going to look a lot like 2009. By March all of these hard thought out resolutions will be long forgotten, the crowds at the gym will have died down, and the diets if sticking around aren't so strict anymore.

I pretty much stopped setting resolutions. There's no point. I never do them. It sounds good on paper to say I'm going to go to the gym five times a week, lose 5lbs, get Britney abs (circa 2000), etc. but by February I'm back to where I started and my list of resolutions is in the trash can. I've said I was going to get Britney abs for the last nine years - apparently moderate exercise and a diet that does not consist of starvation aren't going to cut it and I don't have the money for a trainer.

I'm blaming it all on the fact that I'm a Gemini - too flighty to commit to a whole year of anything. (Actually technically I think I'm a cusp sign meaning I can also be a Cancer depending on the chart)....I'm not much into astrology (I read a book once hence the cusp sign knowledge) - the horoscopes I read are always Joe Generic - good things will happen to you, watch out for men with beards, something new will happen in your career. Thanks Stars for that expert forecast that could apply to any number of Gemini's out there. Maybe some of it carries weight though (a key Gemini characteristic is the twins and inability to commit to one thing for long - there is too much out there to see and do) - I fall in and out of love with hobbies like some people change their socks. I have a whole closet devoted to past resolutions - learn how to play tennis, learn how to roller skate, practice my high school French... should I keep going or do you get the picture?

The moral of my story? This year I'm not doing resolutions. I'm not going to sit here and lie to you and commit myself to doing something I probably will forget about the second week of January. I did come up with an idea for the year - a sort of mini-resolution if you will. Each week (I was going to do every other week but hey it should be a semi-challenge), I'm going to come up with one thing I need to do before the end of the week. Along the way, I'll keep you posted and if you feel inspired you can join in. So what are my challenges? I haven't really decided yet... some might be easy, some might be hard, some I may talk about on Monday but by Wednesday have long since forgotten. Heck, I might even stop doing the challenges by June... I don't know where this will take us but in honor of the New Year I figured I would try something new. So, check back tomorrow and we'll see where this challenge thing takes us. Happy 2010!

5 comments:

  1. The reason you don't keep resolutions isn't because your a Gemini, it's because your a normal person. :) No one keeps theirs.

    I agree, resolutions is not the way to go, if you want something, you'll decide to do it, whether it's January 1, or April 17.

    You should do my wellness challenge!! January's going to be the toughest month, but that's what we need to start the year off. C'mon! :)

    But if not, then go on with your bad self-challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll join your challenge. I liked your idea and tweaked it because I didn't want to do all health stuff. Plus I want to do something easy you can do in a week. What is your Jan challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. January's a big one, exercise every day for 30 minutes (but this could be walking, or stretching, or if you're at the mall, but continuous walking). It's the hardest of all the months, but it's the best way to start off I think.

    I like the idea of challenges that aren't all health stuff (although, I'm not sure going on an educational tour - which will be a goal one month - really counts as "health")

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the educational idea thing. Do you already have all the challenges planned? No 30 min yesterday - although ran around w/C in the yard - does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have most of them planned anyways, and yes, running around in yard with C counts! Just any sort of extra moving counts!

    I think February is going to be no fast food, and March is going to be do one thing a week to pamper yourself, either a pedicure, a massage, a nice haircut, or even just taking a few minutes to yourself to read, or something like that. March should be easy for me! :)

    ReplyDelete