Sunday, December 6, 2009

Baby It's Cold Outside... 1 Grinch and 1 Claus for C

So I skipped a day and I had to force myself to come up with something for today. I could come up with a witty excuse but really I just wanted to finish up some projects around the house. And even now I'm procrastinating reading entertainment blogs...

But to the topic at a hand - a Grinch for yesterday and a Claus for today.

Yesterday we took C to her make-up puppy class and to get her photo with Santa. You paid $10 for the photo but half the money went to the Humane Society to help homeless pets. I hate thinking about homeless pets - they make me want to cry. Those animal abuse commercials come on and I have to change the channel. I can't bare to look at those poor little faces. So my Grinch today is all those people that hurt animals. Really? You're such a man (or woman) you have to hit an animal for no reason? Grow up psychos. And if you can't afford your animal anymore you can't do him or her the common courtesy of finding them a new home? There is no way in hell I would just leave C on the side of a road somewhere - the thought actually makes me want to cry. And even those she's decided to chew on three pairs of my favorite shoes I'm not going to hit her for it. I might yell about it but in the end it was my fault for not watching her.

Maybe having C makes me more aware but even before her I loved animals (I had three bunnies and a dog growing up). I will study faces of lost pets hoping I can find them (not that I actually go out and look but if the animal happens to stumble into my yard). I called the non-emergency police number before because I saw this lady leaving cages outside of a dumpster. The police sent out the Animal Rescue people who actually called me back to thank me because it's a crime to just abandon your animal. It turns out the lady I called the police on actually was catching wild cats to rehabilitate but she actually told the police she wished more people would call because then the cats wouldn't be abandoned so I still feel good about that.

So in answer to the Animal Hating Grinch my Claus is all those people that actually do something to help the animals. The people at Pet Smart that volunteered to dress like Santa, hold C and take her picture all to get a $5 donation. I think that's pretty awesome. We talked to the guy who was Santa while we waited and he was really nice - he'd been dressing up and doing this for years. He said he really enjoyed it. He actually just came over and hugged C and played with her. She was a little scared at first (which never happens). He said the weirdest pets he had to hold were two pythons. He's braver than me because there is no way in hell I would hold those things. So props to the volunteers at Pet Smart, and the lady rehabilitating cats, and even those celebrities showing me sad photos of cats and dogs... take down those Grinches one by one! :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally get all teary eyed at those commercials too. People are really sick to abuse and leave animals around!

    I bet C was super adorable with Santa! Can't wait to see the photo!

    ReplyDelete