Monday, December 28, 2009

And The Stockings Were Hung By The Chimney With Care...

What will I do when all the Christmas theme posts are done?

Now that everything is unwrapped and Christmas is officially over until next year lets take a minute to talk Christmas gifts. Remember that feeling when you were five years old, you couldn't sleep. You put out just the right cookies for Santa and maybe a carrot for the reindeer. You carefully crafted a list. You woke up at 3 am and begged your parents to please let you see if Santa came. You tore into presents with glee.

I don't have kids but growing up and having to buy presents for others I know what the parents must be feeling in the equation. Wrapping presents. Buying wrapping paper. Running out of tape. Carefully looking for coupons or standing in lines at 3am for this year's "It" present. Staying up until midnight so you can play Santa and then waking up early because your kids dog pile you begging to open presents. I always use to wonder why my Mom would get so grouchy at the holidays.

"Stop being such a Grinch." I would proclaim as I tried to cram yet another ornament on the tree.

"I'm not being a Grinch." She would shake her head. "You don't understand. Christmas is a lot of work."

I get it now Mom... Christmas is a lot of work. Are there some parts I love? Yes. I could put up a tree with my eyes close. I will bake cookies until I have no where else to put them. I will wander around light tours even though my hands are numb and I'm dying to just go inside and get warm.

What I hate? What I absolutely wish I didn't have to do.... buy and wrap gifts. It’s funny though – on one hand I love it and on the other I hate it. I love that thrill of finding just the right present that someone will like. But often (and maybe I don't know my friends that well or maybe we're old enough that if we really want something under $25 we buy it ourselves), I find myself running here there and everywhere looking for that elusive (and slightly inexpensive) perfect gift.


I hate that it stretches my budget thin. I'm not trying to be cheap or a Grinch about it but my salary has not kept pace with the growing size of my family and friends. And trying to tell people you don't want to exchange is really awkward and I never really have much luck at it.

K was all about me trying to tell people we don't want to do gifts. "Blah blah budget... money doesn't grow on trees... blah blah just tell them." Me... being consumed with guilt that friends and family will hate me put it off or tried a lame attempt a couple of times and decided it was just easier to buy something. Maybe next year.

There are very few people I really enjoy buying for. S is one of them. I can go into any store - find something (or twenty-somethings) I would like and know she'll love it. I also love people like my sister who said "I want x..." this being acceptable as long as x is under agreed upon limit. Don't tell me x and then x turns out to be a $50 video game or a $100 necklace. (On a side note, Sis is not said person - her x this year was a book - which I got her).

I don't love people who spout off wish list that start with items of $50 or $100. If I'm not your mother, wife or super-close relative. I'm not spending that much and you should be ashamed for asking for it.

I don't love battling crowds for good deals. I love good deals. I love shopping. I hate Christmas shopping. Good deals are truly few and far between. I'm not traipsing to Best Buy or Target at 5 am. There is nothing I need that badly (and nothing you should either). I hate wandering around stores trying in vain to find the perfect gift. Maybe I'm a perfectionist but I always feel like I never find the right gift. I agonize over gifts the way some people would agonize over buying a house (I did that too).

I guess buying gifts stresses me out. I'm glad it's over. It's the one part of Christmas I can't wait to be over. (Although I do admit when I find the perfect gift I'm really excited to see them open it). Later this week I'll try to pull together a post of gift ideas for next year.

How do you feel about Christmas shopping? Does it blow the budget or are you a good shopper? Do you agonize like me or are you an in-and-out kind of shopper?

No comments:

Post a Comment