Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Santas and Grinches

So I missed yesterday and would probably miss today except I feel guilty not writing as if this is some mandatory assignment not something I just made up. This whole Santa/Grinch thing has gotten me thinking about the holidays and being grateful. Too often (and I've said this before) we look at the world half empty - that things aren't going our way. And perhaps we're our own worse Grinches - grumbling through, complaining about the little things when really our life isn't that bad. So today, even though it's a Grinch. I want to challenge everyone to be their own Santa Claus - to figure out something good that's happening to you right this second and when something negative happens think about that. It could be something small - like a killer pair of heels, or your favorite team winning a game or it could be big - like a new baby, buying your house. You get the idea.

I got this idea because I've noticed at work when I get tired or frustrated. Or it's just one of those days. I take a second and think about coming home later. The house is nice and quite. C is so happy to see me (puppies are a nice self-esteem boost - K and I are the coolest people in her little world). And I just relish for a second that in her day - my coming home is the best thing that could have happened to her. Suddenly that big assignment seems doable - because to C I'm a superhero and if that's not something special I don't know what is...

1 comment:

  1. It is true we get wrapped up in all the bad "my foot still is killing me, I have to go to traffic court, I've gained 5 lbs since Thanksgiving", you get the point. But then I tried to think of something good happening right now, and while I have lots of good things going on in my life, if I'm interpreting your comment right, it can't be like "oh, I have good friends and family", it needs to be something right now that happened. So, I'm going to say it's good that we're having a company party this year. Although it'll be waaaaaay scaled back, it is nice we're still having one.

    ReplyDelete